A NEW BOOK NOW OUT. Targets set and achieved.

My third book, 'Targets set and achieved' is now complete and ready for sale. As the title suggests it reflects the past seven years of my fishing. Twenty different rivers where double figure barbel were caught, crucians and roach to near record size, perch, chub, tench and bream to make the mouth water. All will be in the pages and well illustrated with lots of colour photographs.



There is a 1000 copy print run of the hardback edition and a further 40 leather bound copies for the connoisseur.



Copies available from myself just email phlpsmith9@aol.com or ring 07980 394864 for details



Still a limited number of leathers available.





Alternatively use the web page http://www.philsmithangler.co.uk/ where you can order by Paypal or credit/debit card.





Wednesday 13 July 2011

Battling barbel

Having recovered from last weeks session on Orchid, I set out for an afternoon/evening try for barbel on the Teme.  I have tickets for various rivers, Warkwick Avon, Derwent, Trent and Arrow, Severn and Lea, along with day ticket waters on others that I fish, but currently the Teme is my choice.  Up to this season I had only caught one double off this river at 10lb-4oz, so far I've added two more to that total at 10lb-2oz and a new best of 10lb-7oz, I'm hoping to put it up above 11lb then I'll move on.

                                                               The river disappears
It was hot and muggy with a possibility of showers forecast, not good with a one mile walk required to get where I fish, but in due course I did it, and by 2:00pm the rods were fishing with baits in two different areas of the swim.  I am still using the pellet on the hook and the hemp/pellet mix in the feeder -this had been working well over the previous weeks so I'll keep with it.   Two swans came to check me out, along with a strange looking duck, I checked and it was a teal, not a bird I was familier with but now it is logged in on my bird watching list.   Keeping the recasting to about 20 minute intervals I got the first fish after an hour, a nice barbel of around 6lb that went quite well in the flow.  There followed a small chub and I wondered if I was in for a repeat of that previous day when over 20 of them disturbed the swim, but it was the only one caught during the whole session.  At regular intervals after that, the rod would bend over and I could enjoy the fighting qualities of the the barbel.  They definately think they are bigger than what they weigh, being long and lean, they real do battle right to the net.

                                                                             8lb-11oz

I took a fish of 7lb-2oz and that was followed by a superb barbel of 8lb-11oz, a very pleasing fish from any venue, but with the lower average of the Teme, even more so from this river.  It was 8:30pm when I struck into a barbel that shot downstream giving me the hope that it would be a better fish, it proved to be so and when I finally managed to net it I had another double.  At 10lb-3oz, and a different fish to either of the two caught previously, it certainly makes the 50 mile journey worth while.  With six battlers caught, the 50 mile trip back home passed quite quickly and I look foreward to the next trip with anticipation.

                                                                          10lb-3oz Battler

No comments:

Post a Comment