A NEW BOOK NOW OUT. Targets set and achieved.

My third book, 'Targets set and achieved' is now complete and ready for sale. As the title suggests it reflects the past seven years of my fishing. Twenty different rivers where double figure barbel were caught, crucians and roach to near record size, perch, chub, tench and bream to make the mouth water. All will be in the pages and well illustrated with lots of colour photographs.



There is a 1000 copy print run of the hardback edition and a further 40 leather bound copies for the connoisseur.



Copies available from myself just email phlpsmith9@aol.com or ring 07980 394864 for details



Still a limited number of leathers available.





Alternatively use the web page http://www.philsmithangler.co.uk/ where you can order by Paypal or credit/debit card.





Sunday 26 August 2012

A day fishing locally


Interesting couple of days in that I went locally to try a bit of 'crucian' fishing.  Friday went quite well since I was catching lots of fish, bream, roach, but initially not the crucians, I had tried a large variety of pellets flavours and pastes until I dropped on the chocolate malt which seemed to be the crucian's favourite.  Not only that it also seemed to cut down the capture of the unwanted species as well and in the last 1.5hrs of my session I took 7 of the little gems to about 1lb-8oz.
Bait tub for size reference - that one caught bream.

Returning Saturday I went in with the chocolate malt thinking I had this sussed - how wrong can you be?  Catching loads of bream and roach again but then that thunderstorm moved in.  Lightening and very heavy rain stopped play as I held onto the umbrella in the strong wind that had also appeared then the storm moved through and the sun came out again.  Everything seemed back to normal but the bites had dried up almost completely, I stayed on for another three hours but other than the odd fish, but no crucians, I had no sport.  Maybe the sound of the large raindrops hitting the water disturbs the fish; perhaps air pressure does it, whatever it spoiled the day's sport.  Still there is always another sunny day to go out and try again to fool our target fish hopefully without that rain coming to spoill it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Phil.

    Funny little fish crucians. I was fishing during that storm too, and after it the tench srtared to roll all over my bait. But I too could not buy a bite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had heavy rain both kill sport and cure it. Trouble is, you don't want the bites when it's really hammering down, do you? Well, not if you have to stand up and leave the brolly to fight the fish you don't!

    ReplyDelete